Monday, October 15, 2018

Match of the Week (October 15, 2018) - Randy Orton vs. Batista vs. Daniel Bryan (WWE WrestleMania XXX)

Since today is my birthday, I wanted to share with you a match that had a special meaning to me in my life. In 2014, Daniel Bryan defeated both Randy Orton and Batista in the main event of the biggest show of the year to capture the most prestigious championship in the WWE. However, the meaning behind both this match and event as a whole is so special to me. I was transitioning through a new phase of my life as I had broken up with my girlfriend and was finding my way into finally transferring into a university. Things were happening fast and I was experiencing a different level of stress that I have never felt before. There was one thing I could always count on to help me with life... professional wrestling. Seeing Daniel Bryan beat Evolution in one night before closing out the show with the championship belts in both hands was something I will never forget.

-

Randy Orton vs. Batista vs. Daniel Bryan (Taken from WWE WrestleMania XXX Review)
This is it. The first triple threat main event at a WrestleMania since WrestleMania XX. And this event oddly resembles that one is so many ways. Bryan gained this opportunity after beating Triple H earlier in the show. Hard to believe that the original main event was going to be Batista vs. Orton. Bryan being injected into the match gives this match and event both a different kind of life. You know Bryan is going to win, but you just still got that feeling. The hate for Batista is real and he is fully embracing his role as a heel. He does such an amazing job at provoking these fans to boo him, he is a heel at heart. This match was exciting from the start and definitely worthy of closing out a wild night of wrestling. Just a roller coaster of a match filled with Bryan trying to fend off both Orton and Batista. Things got really foggy when Batista hit Bryan with a Batista Bomb as Orton connected with an RKO through an announce table. One of the coolest spots I have ever seen in a WrestleMania main event. Bryan refuses to quit and ends the match by getting Batista to submit after an amazing back and fourth finish. Bryan celebrates in the ring with both titles in hand as the pyro sets off to cap off an incredible night. Wow. Everything made sense here. It wasn't the perfect match or even the best main event in WrestleMania history. But again, everything made sense. You had Triple H, the scumbag boss, do his best to alter the finish with Scott Armstrong and the sledgehammer. But he failed. You had Batista, the man who was scheduled to likely win the match, submit to Daniel Bryan! What a match, what an ending, and what a show. 
Winner: Daniel Bryan
Rating: ****1/4

No comments:

Post a Comment