Monday, August 13, 2018

Match of the Week (August 13, 2018) - Edge vs. The Undertaker (WWE Summerslam 2008)

With the 2018 edition of WWE's Summerslam fast approaching, I think it is only fitting that my first pick for the "Match of the Week" goes to one of my favorite Summerslam matches of all time. It goes like this... The Undertaker dethroned Edge at WrestleMania that year for his WWE World Heavyweight Championship but later lost to Edge in a TLC match months later to be banished from the WWE. However, Vickie Guerrero reinstated The Undertaker as he would go on to meet Edge one last time inside the infamous Hell in a Cell at the biggest PPV of the summer. Their match went on to be one of my favorite matches of all time and an incredible end to one of the best feuds of all time.

-

Hell in a Cell - Edge vs. The Undertaker (Taken from WWE Summerslam 2008 Review)
I have seen this match so many times that I actually can't even remember if I have ever even reviewed this before so I'm just going to pretend like this is the first time for both. 2008's feud of the year was Chris Jericho vs. Shawn Michaels but one that often gets overlooked that year is between these two, Edge and The  Undertaker. They feuded throughout the year and it culminated here in a Hell in a Cell match at Summerslam in the main event. One of my favorite promos of all time came on an edition of SmackDown leading to this event that saw Edge feature Mick Foley on an edition of The Cutting Edge. If you haven't seen it, do yourself the favor. A huge gripe that many often have with this match is that it felt like a big spot after big spot type of match. Personally, I loved the spots and I love how they spaced them out perfectly. They couldn't do any blood so they made up for it with some incredible table spots and storytelling. Loved the spot where Edge drove a steel chair through the heart of The Undertaker through a table before saying to himself, "I understand." Referencing his promo with Mick Foley. Undertaker scores the big win after hitting a Spear and a Tombstone. Afterwards, Undertaker Chokeslams Edge off a ladder through the ring before fire erupts out of nowhere. Memorable finish and ending to the show as Edge would go on to take a much-needed break before like Cena, returning at Survivor Series.
Winner: The Undertaker
Rating: ****3/4

No comments:

Post a Comment